Top tips for looking after your child’s teeth:
- First tooth, first visit! It is important to develop good habits at an early age. You should see your dentist at least once a year
- Adult teeth come through about age 6. Fissure sealants are a simple, effective treatment to help prevent your child’s teeth against decay
- Brushing should be done twice a day, before bed and in the morning. Children under the age of 7 should be supervised by an adult
- Encourage your child to spit and not rinse after brushing so that the effects of fluoride toothpaste are not diluted
- Snacking should be avoided. Limit the frequency of consumption of sugary food and drinks. Any sweet treats should be kept to mealtimes
- Drink milk and water. Avoid sugary acidic soft drinks, sports drinks and juices
- Always wear a mouthguard when playing sports to help reduce the risk of dental trauma
Fissure sealants are a thin plastic-like coating applied to the chewing surfaces of the back teeth. This coating adds an extra protective layer to the tooth and helps to stave off the onset of dental decay.
A gum shield is a protective appliance that is custom made to fit your child and should be worn to protect the teeth during contact sports.